Pioneer presents first wave of 2013 in-dash multimedia receivers
12 November, 2012
Pioneer Europe kicks off its 2013 in-dash audio video product line-up with four new double DIN multimedia receivers that feature expanded smartphone integration, larger WVGA touch screen displays and a set of features developed to match today’s music-listening trends, including iPod Direct and Android media connectivity, Bluetooth1 hands-free and audio streaming, MIXTRAX EZ and Advanced App Mode compatibility. The devices to be released in December are the AVH-X1500DVD, the AVH-X3500DAB with built-in DAB tuner plus the AVH-X5500BT and AVH-X2500BT, both featuring Bluetooth connectivity.
“As keeping in touch with the digital world while on the road has become increasingly important, expanding smartphone compatibility and making it easier and safer to use mobile devices in the car environment was our main goal in developing this product series,” says Tom Van Biervliet, Manager Product Planning Car Audio, Pioneer Europe. “These four new multimedia receivers offer advanced connectivity solutions plus the audio/video quality you’d expect from a Pioneer headunit.”
Expanded smartphone integration
To correspond with the ever-growing use of smartphones, Pioneer designed the new AVH multimedia receiver with expanded smartphone compatibility.
- Made for iPhone – From the AVH-X2500BT and up, Pioneer incorporated iPhone and iPod connectivity2, allowing users to quickly access and play music from their iTunes music library using the head unit’s front panel controls while simultaneously charging the device’s battery.
- USB connectivity3 – USB connections enable users to play back audio/video media stored on a flash drive, hard drive, media player and/or smartphone.
- Compatible with Android4 – Android smartphone music support is possible via USB connection and by using the Pioneer Connect app for Android. Users of compatible Android smartphones can listen to music stored on their devices and utilise Pioneer’s unique MIXTRAX music effects.
- Bluetooth – The AVH-X5500BT and AVH-X2500BT feature Bluetooth capability for hands-free calling as well as music streaming, allowing the option to stay connected without a hardwire connection.
- Advanced App Mode5 – With Advanced App Mode on board, the new models enable users to listen to their favourite music and streaming audio apps from a USB connected iPhone 4/4S or iPod Touch (4th Gen) when the vehicle is in park and the hand brake is fully engaged. Pioneer has teamed up with app providers to offer compatibility with many of today’s most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalogue of compatible apps.
Pioneer’s exclusive MIXTRAX EZ feature is included in all four new models to deliver a unique DJ-like listening experience. MIXTRAX takes the music from an iPhone, iPod touch, USB device, or certain Android devices and plays it back with added transitions and effects, creating a seamless mix of the user’s music library in a style similar to a live DJ.
Digital Audio Broadcasting
The AVH-X3500DAB incorporates a DAB radio tuner, embracing the growing trend of digital audio broadcasts that provide high-quality digital sound through improved signal reception and easy programme selection6. In addition to crystal clear reception, the DAB tuner lets the user time-shift radio by pausing radio playback and resuming listening later, much the same as modern TV tuners allow recording of programs.
The size of the display area on the four new models has been increased for greater viewing angles, improved visibility and more song information. Every device in the 2013 AVH line-up now comes with a high-quality WVGA touch panel display, 7 inch on the AVH-X5500BT and 6.1 inch on the AVH-X3500DAB, AVH-X2500BT and AVH-X1500DVD. A reworked and fresh-looking GUI with large, bold type and nice visuals makes operating the new models even more straightforward.
The Pioneer AVH-X5500BT, AVH-X3500DAB, AVH-X2500BT and AVH-X1500DVD will be available as from December 2012.